Saturday, October 28, 2006

October 27 -28 Hastings to Eketahuna

Next day it was Route 2 to Waipukurau then the Porangahau Road to Wimbledon. Got to the hotel and what do we find but the road from Wimbledon to Weber was closed
to a five day car rally. Welllllll, I never! So it was a cup of coffee and sandwich and listening to a couple of the local lads so full of smoke and mirrors.... I even moved a couple of times and they would just follow and tell me about their biking days. Finally one of the race officials told me of a gravel road that would get me to Weber (20km) Birch road). Now normally going on a gravel road would be a walk in the park. Unfortunately I just so happen to pass a turkey along the fence line, do I really need to go on with this, anyhow I hear this noise behind me and if it isn't the turkey with an attitude chasing me down the road. I stopped and he was just having an attitude check with me and the bike....... reminded me of wife number 5..!

Got into Eketahuna and they had a cabin with heater for $12.00 a day......... it was like the parting the of seas, A HEATER...!!!!! for $12.00. Somebody up there was finally smiling down on me. Weather forecast for Cape Palliser was not good and it was going to get worse so it was another day stay with the heater on...

No comments: