At the stroke of Midnight on this warm and quite night I bordered New Zealand Flight NZ9 to Auckland. Someone some where had mentioned to me that touring NZ in the month of October was going to be a bit fresh but tolerable for the hearty types that venture forth on said 2 wheel vehicles.
It was a quite flight into Auckland and as I was renting a BMW 650GS from a rental agency in Auckland proper, the vendor was there to pick me up. At the shop I called Alan Sciascia, Ulysses Club member, who I had contacted a month earlier via email. Alan had, prior to my arrival, got a number of Ulysses members to open their homes to me during my travels throughout the North Island. Alan showed up and between the 2 of us managed to load my gear on both bikes. Alan house was going to be my home base during my travels and was able to leave a good part of my non-essential (Power Bars) gear there.
The weather was over cast, temps in the low single digits and rain was on the horizon. Well to make me feel right at home Alan decided that I should see all 4 points of Auckland. I did mention earlier about rain didn’t I. Well by the time we hit point 2 the rain was coming down and I did not have a clue as to where we were at all. But as we were having fun, I emphasize the word fun, we continued to point 3 & 4. By the time we got back to Alan’s home the only thing I wanted to do was take a hot shower and get warm. It should be noted here that people in NZ do not and I mean do not believe in heaters. There could be ice on the roads, winds off the coast at 25 knots, snot hanging from your nose, icicles hanging from the light fixtures and all of the windows are open and they are walking around in tee shirts!
Sunday, October 1, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment